As summer comes is around the corner of spring, we are all thinking of the fun, sun and long warm nights ahead of us. It’s bizarre how all the long warm nights go from the blissful relaxation on the patio to torture when trying to fall asleep.
If you find yourself without the comfort of air conditioning, Springwel a leading mattress manufacturer offers some terrific ways to stay cool while you sleep this summer.
1. Think about the sheets – To sleep lighter and cool, choose the lighter coloured bed sheets with breathable fabrics such as linen and cotton. When the heat spikes, you will be thankful for the air flow in between the sheets where you need it the most.
2. Adjust the nighttime wardrobe – With increase in temperature, our need for clothing lowers. Go all out and choose loose, cotton pajamas which allow for ventilation to help keep you cool.
3. Bring cool down tools to bed – This is an effective method. Fill in your hot water bottle with water in the morning and place it in the freezer. By the time you’re ready for shut eye, you have a chilled ice pack to cool the feet while you sleep. Fill a sock with rice and place it in the freezer. Pull it out just before bed and stay cool for 30 minutes which is good enough a time for you to fall asleep.
4. Unplug and go dark earlier in the evening – You can turn off the lights closer to bedtime to limit the heat in the bedroom. You can also turn off the electronics before you hop in bed. This will help you keep cool by not having a warm device in the hands and help fall asleep faster without the distraction of technology.
5. Indulge your pulses – You don’t find yourself gasping for cooler air until the middle of the night and want to get back to sleep quickly. To chill down fast, place an ice pack on the pulse points such as the wrists, neck, elbows and behind the knees.
6. Give yourself cold feet – Your feet are an extremely sensitive area containing several pulse points in the feet and ankles. Cool the body by dipping your feet in cold water just like you do at the pool. Before bed, fill the tub with ice water and soak until you are cool enough to sleep.
7. Stay hydrated – Combating the heat isn’t always just a battle of temperature – consistent sweating can cause dehydration. In the early evening, be sure to drink around 8 ounces of water to keep yourself hydrated. Be careful about drinking too much water right before bed as you do not want to wake up throughout the night to use the bathroom.
Follow these tips by Springwel to beat the heat and sleep better!